Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

April 13, 2008

Horses

Just two shuttle rides for Buddy today. However, they took us to and from Bear Creek Lake Park for a couple hours of hiking.

Since it was Sunday the park was busy with cars, bicycles, boats, horses, and hikers. Buddy's first reaction to the dozens of horses we saw was to bark at them, which has been a common response to unfamiliar objects recently. For example, man in electric wheelchair, homeless man pushing a cart, and the horses. With repeated meetings with horses, he relaxed as they passed. Then I think he just wanted to play with the "big dogs".

The hundred bikes that passed us were only an issue when they sneaked up on us stealth-like and surprised us. Once Buddy almost jumped out of his fur because they loudly shifted gears just as they passed us.

From various observation points on Mount Carbon we could see the Denver skyline and Red Rocks amphitheater. After our three hour hike up to the top of Mount Carbon (elev 5,779 feet), we need some rest before an early dinner. Buddy won't have to wait until late to eat this evening.


I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. - W. Dayton Wedgefarth

No comments: