Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

July 6, 2009

Drop n Shop

Marley got to go shopping today. She was excited to leave the house, but not excited by the routine. HEEL, SIT, shop, HEEL, DOWN, STAY, shop, HEEL, SIT, shop, ... I'm not sure who dislikes shopping the most Marley or me; at least she enjoys the cool floor.

Not much fun, but learning patience is critical. Only a fraction of the time will he actually be guiding his partner. The majority of the guide dog's life will be spent sitting or lying down quietly and waiting patiently for an opportunity to assist.

I need a refresher on nail trimming. Two weeks ago I cut Cinder's a bit short and this week Marley. It's not a big deal, however it can't be pleasant for the dog. My issue is not getting the dog to a completely calm state. I try to trim while the pup is still a tad squirmy. I locate the spot, she moves, and "Quick get the powder".


“The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.” - George Graham Vest

No comments: