Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

September 4, 2009

Playtime

Hello Fellow pups!

Slick here.

I went to Diny’s Jewelers this week and solicited for a raffle prize for one of our upcoming events. They were so nice! Beverly Diny told me that sometimes she brings her dog to the store… But, alas, I did not see one.. Mom said that they gave OccuPaws some little thingies that fit into lady’s ear lobes. That sounds painful! My ears don’t have any holes in them… I wonder why girls have holes in their ears. In any case mom says the ear rings are very pretty. Thanks to Diny’s in Middleton for providing a great raffle prize.


Last night, mom, dad, Nikki, Dale, Jeff, Lisa, Banjo, Nikki’s Golden Retriever puppy and I had a training class at the Badger Kennel Club. Nikki demonstrated teaching “heel” to younger dogs. Taking the human end of the leash (with the doggie end of the leash on a puppy), and holding it by the human’s chest, walk around quickly with right angle changes of direction. The pup will follow the human, when it doesn’t follow the human, the human is supposed to ignore where the puppy is and keep walking.

Gradually the young dog will figure out that following the human with the end of the leash is a lot of fun! At first it does not matter which side (left or right) the puppy walks on. Learning to walk on a particular side is for a later day. Mom and dad thought it was a great idea, as the puppy learns to watch the human, not the other way around. Mom and dad thought that Banjo did really well.




Nikki also demonstrated some commands that the “older dogs” like me should be very proficient at, and why. For example, “sit/stay”. I was put in a “sit/stay”, mom walked away from me (holding the leash), and faced me. Then, she pulled slightly on the leash to “prove” that I was going to stay. The reason why she pulled slightly on the leash, is that a blind person will follow the leash back to me, using the leash. Makes sense to me!

After some more human blah, blah, blah, Banjo and the upstart Golden Puppy played in the puppy ring together. They had so much fun, as they had similar play styles and were about the same size. Mom said that I was toooooo big to play with them.




Tomorrow I will be on the Capitol Square for the Farmer’s Market. I really like going there.

Slick

No comments: