Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

December 13, 2007

Buddy - Day 4

Bird Update: out of the house, safe and sound.

I have not taken Buddy out yet in public, but Fran says he is very good. We have a big day planned. Wish us luck!

We will start the day off with a visit to a friend of mine and her 4 kids. The kids range from mid teens to about 10, homeschooled. They no longer have their beloved dog and were thrilled to have Buddy visit them. And Buddy loves kids. The kids kept Buddy entertained and vice versa.

Then off to Woodman's,the schedules come out and it's like Wall Street, such a frenzy. Some of my co-workers could tell right away this was not Bella. He greets people so calmly, much more so than Bella. As soon as anyone would come up to pet him he would sit.

Then, Buddy and I shopped for groceries. I had a lot going on after I checked my schedule (he did great in the mob), with a large cart, coupons and calculator! Buddy never pulled on the leash, walked right by me. I did run over his paw once, poor guy. Half way through, he was acting a little nervous (we were there 1 1/2 hours!) and I took him out and he made yellow snow.

Then Buddy's favorite: Shopping. My daughter needed dress pants and a white shirt for tonight's concert. We had something very interesting happen. We were close to the door, Buddy sitting right by me while I looked at shirts and I noticed he was getting all excited. In walked a REAL seeing eye dog! Buddy wanted to play, but I firmly told him to sit. He did and he let out a couple of manly barks. I told him that was what he would be doing when he grew up. The lady with the seeing eye dog told me it was important to wipe off their paws in the winter, the salt on sidewalks can hurt their pads. I didn't know that, and I sure appreciated the tip. She was using a small towel and really making sure her dogs pads got a good cleaning.

I really bonded with Buddy today. We had such a good time and I'm looking forward to taking him to the concert tonight. Right now, Buddy is laying down for a well-deserved nap!Then off to the concert!

Poor Buddy did not like the concert. I think he had a lot of things working against him. The concert did not even start until 7:30, so I'm sure he was really hungry. Plus, he had already had a big day out, so he was probably tired. And the area he had to be in was small and cramped. Finally, I just wonder if the music hurt his ears! This is an orchestra with very young members, so for us parents, it sounded great. But, when I took off my parent ears and put on music appreciation ears, it's not so great. I really think he appreciates Springsteen more than beginning orchestras. Poor guy.

Buddy seemed nervous, could not settle in. I brought him a chip, but he ate that so fast. He would not lay down, and since nobody was right next to us I didn't mind if he sat or stood with his head in my lap. I took him outside during the intermission, thinking maybe he had some business. My in-laws were in the concert, sat in the next aisle and didn't even know Buddy was there until we went outside during intermission. And that's the whole goal!

Buddy is such a good dog! We had a very busy day and he took everything in stride. I love his face, such a strong looking face. The broad snout, he is very handsome! He gets many compliments, from his good manners to his handsome face and shiny coat. Good job, Buddy!

No comments: