Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

March 8, 2012

Snip Update - Cooper

I wrote too soon last evening. While I thought and was hoping that Cooper was resting comfortably, he was wide awake looking at me from inside his crate when I turned in. So I had a decision to make with a few alternatives.

I opted to bring him into our bed, my rationale was that way I could better monitor his crying and keep him from licking the incision site. Now this was all true, however, my plan failed because I needed to be awake to monitor him. Needless to say I did not get any sleep; I felt his every move and heard every whimper.

I made it until 4:30 this morning. It was time for a potty break, but more importantly, also time for his first at home pain medication. Knowing that I needed to get some sleep and Lisa would be up soon, I changed course to what should have been my initial approach. I made my way downstairs, retrieved the Elizabethan collar, and placed Cooper in the big crate, which just happens to be located down the hall - out of earshot.

As pet owners we often fall prey to Anthropomorphism, basically treating animals as if they were human, with negative consequences. With all our experience, we should have known better. We will have to see what Lisa decides this evening ...

No comments: