Hawk's Schedule

8/4 Lake Mills
8/12 CCSDA Training

January 6, 2009

Echo vs Buddy

Last week when I was walking with Echo and it was slippery in spots. I was thinking to myself that it would be great to have claws like him so I wouldn't slip on the ice. Then on Friday my goddaughters brought my Christmas present - essentially spikes to slip on the bottom of my shoes.

The ice storm hit on Saturday night. Perfect time to try my new "claws", however they didn't fit. Oh well, we went out for a run anyways. It didn't take Echo long to figure out that the road and sidewalks were slippery. Whether through his experience or watching me, he learned to stay on the snow and avoid the ice.

On Monday the dogs didn't get much exercise. Buddy was fine, but Echo was bouncing off the walls. There is a huge difference between Echo and Buddy's energy levels. Echo approaches a three mile run like a warm up and Buddy walks the last half mile. Echo is an American Labrador and Buddy is English. Echo is eight months old and Buddy is one year older. Echo is white and sheds an enormous amount of hair while Buddy has a shorter black coat which only needs to be combed weekly.

So this evening Echo went for a run. Then we combed him before heading out to a restaurant and grocery shopping. It's hard to get him out in the winter when we just want to stay at home where it is warm, but we are trying to take him on at least one outing everyday.

No comments: